Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lake Martin

We spent the morning investigating a nearby military recreation area at Lake Martin. It is about an hour away and is certainly "in the country" as the kids said. Karl and I said that 40 years ago, the neighborhood would have looked like a scene from the movie Deliverance. Needless to say, it was fairly "backwoods Alabama," and definitely out of the city. I am telling you, it is a WHOLE different world down here in the deep south. Here are Collin and I by the lake. It wasn't too busy today, but I assume that it is very busy in the summer. There are a lot of homes and vacation rentals surrounding the lake, ranging from high price, fancy-shmancy places to mobile homes. :) Totally Alabama!
They did have a nice little playground for the kids near a couple of military cabin rentals. This looks like a pirate pilot to me! :)


And here are the boys playing on a cool little teeter totter bridge that they have in the same playground.



All in all, I don't think that we will be spending our vacay there any time soon, but it was a nice little drive for a Sunday morning in Montgomery.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

What an adorable little pirate pilot!

Strommer Family said...

I'd give anything to be there in the "deep south" as you say...I miss it!! But you do look like you're happy!! ;)

Unknown said...

Ok, so I have joined you in the deep south as I am currently in Arkansas visiting my mom. If you think where you are at is deep south you should see the town my mom lives in. Their idea of a department store is a super wal-mart :) Glad you had fun at the lake. I love reading your posts. They are always so interesting :)