Friday, March 5, 2010

Trauma

This is what happens when a five year old meets a half plowed snow pile and the 5 1/2 ft. drop to the ground on the other side.....


Trauma! Broken wrist, hairline fractures in skull and orbital lobe (the bone under the eye) and multiple bumps and bruises. :( Here he is in the ER with the Webkinz dog that they gave him at the CT scan.

Payton and I stayed in the hospital overnight for observation. He is feeling well and much more like himself. His wrist (or his broken "skills" as he calls it) is in a splint and not a cast. His face will heal and he will look frightful for a while, but it could have been worse.

He was a trooper throughout. He did a CT scan, an Xray, and an IV...none of which were very fun for him. But in the end, he said "I think I like sleeping here." The hospital was wonderful. The pediatric unit was well equipped for little people in pain and we were very impressed. Here he is watching his movie on the portable DVD player they have there. This is the good side of his face.....

...and this is the bad side. Fortunately, he looks a lot worse than I think that he actually feels. He is only on Tylenol for pain, and seems to be managing well. It will be a quiet couple of weeks, he will be fine. :) Karl and I might be traumatized for life, but that is a different story.

12 comments:

MLC said...

Get well soon Payton! Your Buddy Wes! Missed you today @ school.

M&M Conners said...

Get well soon Payton! We missed you at school today!! Your buddy, Wes

MLC said...

Get well soon Payton! We missed you at school today! Your buddy, Wes

Lindsey said...

OMG. It took my breath away for a second to see those pics. Give P a (gentle) hug from me. And then give yourself a big one too! That must have been so scary.

Sandy and Anna said...

Ack! That's so scary. I'm glad he's okay. Poor little guy. We're thinking of ALL of you.

Shelly said...

Oh my gosh... that look awful... poor guy.. I am glad you had great care and your lil guy is going to be okay... Hugs to all of you!

Vicki said...

Oh, my heart is breaking looking at those pics. We're all glad he's feeling fine and will recover soon. Reagan was upset and concerned when she found out. Boy what a story he'll have to tell (!) even if it took a couple years of life out of mom and dad :)

wildcatfanva said...

Poor Payton!

KCB said...

Hugs to you all; especially you, mamas! How traumatic. But I'm sooo glad it wasn't any worse. I'm sure P will bounce back with lightning quickness. :)

marg said...

Gramp says he needs a big onion poultice!!

Lynn said...

Oh no!!! That is not pretty. You are so the mom of boys....

Unknown said...

BAD ASS! What a little trooper.